Tuesday, October 21, 2008

October Observations...

I haven't had much time to even think about music, even though Roman Holiday's played some really good gigs the past few weeks. I guess I've been DOING music too much to think about it.

We've added a bunch of new songs, some of which will die immediately because they sound bad (like Nothin' But A Good Time and 867-5309/Jenny). We've got a good core of stuff now, and now we need to tighten up and then decide what the next step will be musically. Most of our gigs through the end of the year are private parties, so a lot of the more risque songs we do will not make the cut for those shows.

We're playing in Temple for Halloween (at O'Brien's), which is a problem because Heather's got other stuff going on that night that I'd really like for her to be able to attend. We're playing in Killeen on November 7th. Those are the only two public shows for the rest of the year, and neither of them are in Austin.

I suppose you make a trade-off when you decide to focus on the lucrative private party circuit, and you stop being a "bar band", but the biggest issue is that we don't have a regular gig at any of the good-paying venues here in town. It's a shame, because I know a lot of people who want to come see us play, if only to tease me. I really don't want to waste my time playing for next to nothing just so people can come see me play, so I don't see this situation changing, but it is a mild bummer.

There are times I really wish we had a fourth member, and then I check my wallet and realize I don't wish for it that much. I suppose if we were regularly snagging gigs worth more than $1500, I might be cool with it, but right now it doesn't seem to be worth it.

I suppose we could hire someone as our regular soundman/light tech for a few hundred or so, which wouldn't be bad, especially at larger venues, but that's another schedule that would need to be coordinated, another ego that would need to be dealt with.

I like what we've got...I just wish we could do more with it.

But moving on, I still kick that acoustic idea around, and it still never materializes because I simply don't have a lot of time to work on it or make it happen. I suppose if I was unemployed, it would be easier, but I like having a consistent paycheck and time with my family.

It occurred to me earlier this week that the last time I wrote a song was in May, and the last time before that was almost a year prior...that's not good. It's like I can't do it anymore. I walk around with little bits of ideas and none of them ever coalesce into something bigger. It's FRUSTRATING.

Well, love from the Schizo - if you read this regularly, you rock, and if it's your first time, welcome. I imagine I could write more about a specific topic, like I did when I started the blog, but I don't even have the mental energy for that right now. Perhaps soon I'll go into the wonders of using a Line 6 POD X3 rig and my awesome Digitech VL4 harmony machine.

Until then, take care!

No comments: