Sunday, March 9, 2008

Video, Narcissism, SXSW

So my throat performed reasonably well at the gig on March 1st. I've even got video proof of it that I'll be cutting together pretty soon for a brand-spankin' new Roman Holiday video promo reel!

I already made a live DVD (warts and all) for family and friends of the band. As much as we appreciated David's work with the camera, there were starts and stops in weird places (endings and beginnings cut off, etc.) and it was just super-sloppy, partially because the way we have to set the lighting up in that particular club just doesn't lend itself well to videotaping.

The bizarre part about it for me was that it was the first time I've ever really seen myself perform. I've been doing this for the better part of 10 years, and I never had the occasion, save a couple of brief shots on Channel 4 in Jacksonville in the background of a news report, to see myself singing and playing on stage.

Shockingly, it wasn't horrifying. I think I do need to learn how to sing without closing my eyes, and I think that I could stand to lose a few pounds, but overall, I was relatively pleased.

It was funny to me that I screwed up Super Freak, and funny to see me take bass solos and groove with Rob - I actually look like I know how to play the damn thing. It kind of weirded me out, to be honest.

The best part? It made me want to do it again, and to do a whole show this time with a good board recording as well instead of the on-board camcorder mic.

Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to cut that thing together in the next couple of days and post it here.

South by Southwest is this coming week, and I'm thrilled that I'll have a chance to spend some time with my "little brother" (from another mother) Caleb. He's coming down for the festival from his current home in Arkansas. He's become quite the songwriter and guitarist, and I'm so happy to have been able to know him since he was just a little kid, trying to convince me that his GTX guitar was actually something a lot nicer, and listening to the progression of his music and songwriting from its Pollen Dance beginnings through all the great stuff he writes today. Not to mention the leaps and bounds he's taken as a guitarist. He impresses me endlessly, and I figured I'd give him a little tribute here on the blog. I really wish he lived closer so we could make some seriously funky-ass music together. Or whatever. I just love the guy, and I'm happy to have him coming to my town, even if only for a few days.

Look out for the video, and enjoy yourselves. Life is short even when it's long.

In closing, much love to my dear departed Grandma V. - we loved you and we will miss you. I hope I'm wrong about the afterlife, so you can have a wonderful time in Heaven with Grandpa and Uncle Peter and all your friends.

No comments: