Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Music in May for Le Schizo

So the past month has been hit-or-miss active for me, music-wise. But mostly really fun!

On May 5th the cover band (Roman Holiday) played a Cinco De Mayo show at Pappasito's and it was really good and fun. Definitely made up for how much we sucked ass last year when we played their event.

Then we didn't do much for a while, partially because I was in Jacksonville, FL, where on May 14th I played a little acoustic show with my good buddy Dennis and we reunited 3/4ths of our old cover band from there, Slaphappy (Brent joined us as well). It was weird only because I've conditioned myself to sing everything 1/2-step down, so a lot of the keys were trickier to find than usual. But overall, it was a BLAST and made me sad that we don't live closer, because we'd have a killer acoustic duo. Joy!

I came back to town to some drama, but we cleared it up and played a show at Johnny Fin's on the lake on May 22nd. It was a pretty good show - the sound on stage was great (helped by my resurrected Carvin PM15A speaker), and we played well as a result, even though my voice was all over the place due to an upper respiratory thing. The crowd was pretty typical for the venue - tepid and asking for music we don't play. One part of the show that was particularly awesome was when I got to play guitar on "Rebel Yell" and "Crazy Train" - I went completely apeshit on those two in the solos and amused myself. We got our biggest crowd reaction from that part of the show, which was weird - they were even cheering me along DURING the song. Another weird point - the song that brought people onto the dance floor was "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind. Seriously. Not "Super Freak", not "Brick House" or "Play That Funky Music". Fucking Semi-Charmed. Go figure.

Before that show, I was called to fill in for the missing bass player of a band at Latitude 30 on Thursday the 20th. It was an adventure learning the songs as I played them (well, only in a few cases - I knew most of the songs), and I had fun playing with the drummer. Working out some creative interplay is always sweet - and he's great because he's always listening.

I look forward to Roman Holiday's June shows and the fact that both our Marble Falls venue "The Sports Arena" and our Killeen venue "The Duckhorn Tavern" are coming back on our schedule. Now if we could only find someplace awesome in Austin where all our local friends could come see us play...

Oh, and I've decided that I am definitely going to be putting together a set/song list for my acoustic show. At least then I'll have an established repertoire that I can use when I play those shows (if I ever get around to booking them).

Peace to all!
TMS

No comments: