Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Clever examples of songwriting, to me...

Here are a few examples of wordplay I enjoy:

From Fountains of Wayne's "Hung Up On You":
And I can't dial the phone just now
Even though I know your number
Can't bring my broken heart to be untrue
Like you did today you'll say
Goodbye the same old way
Ever since you hung up on me
I'm hung up on you

From Sloan's "Autobiography":
I'm writing "young and gifted" in my autobiography
I figured who would know better than me
I'm certainly the former, but I'm not so much the latter
But no one's gonna read it, so I'm sure it doesn't matter

Or how about the Odds' "Someone Who's Cool":
In natural selection
I've avoided all detection
And the - tender bits underneath
All with window dressing
And calculated guessing
And a bark bigger than my teeth

These merely scratch the surface of what I was talking about in the other post. I just wanted to give some props to some bands you may not have heard before.
TMS

No comments: