Saturday, June 30, 2007

Time Is Running Out

I think I'm finally fried for the cover band thing for now.

Don't get me wrong, the money and camraderie are great, but I'm tired of being a half-assed musician.

Tonight I'll talk to Ned about the future of our band, and basically tell him that I don't think I want to do it anymore (after July).

We've got two major holes to fill (drums, vocals), and so far, it hasn't gone well in that department.

The more I think about it, the less I feel the time spent away from my family justifies the amount of money I make.

Plus, honestly, I think I want to really get into songwriting again, and this cover stuff is sapping all my energy, not because I have to prepare for it so much, but rather because it takes a lot of mental energy I could be devoting to other musical endeavors (not to mention non-musical endeavors like my kids and wife).

We had a good gig as a trio at Carlos & Charlie's last night, and if we have a few more good ones, it'll serve as a fitting end to my time playing in bands for money. I will probably still do cover gigs as a solo acoustic act (speaking of which, I have a duo gig next Friday, July 6th at Johnny Fins, provided it's not completely under water), but for now, the full-band thing isn't very appealing. Too much rehearsal, too many gigs, not enough control.

I love the guys in the band, and it's not really about them. I've just reached a point where I don't feel up to doing it anymore - it's too tiring, mentally and physically.

I've always driven home from gigs with the thoughts that I never want to do it again, but I never woke up with those thoughts until this morning. I've got a gig tonight in Round Rock at a place called "The Rock Room", which should be good, because the crowd there is pretty receptive; it's small, so even a small crowd fills the room, and that's always a more enjoyable experience, in my opinion. Then a gig 4th of July at the old standby "Bourbon Rocks", the aforementioned Friday "Johnny Fins" acoustic gig, and back at "The Rock Room" on July 7th. After a private party up near Temple on the 14th, nothing until August, so that'll be when I will say goodbye, unless Ned begs me to play the Light Bar gigs...

Stick a fork in me, people. I'm done. But this blog and my music site will get a lot more interesting because of it.

No comments: