Monday, July 16, 2007

Corporate Parties and IEMs

I love playing corporate functions.

This weekend the band played a pool party in Belton, and it was hot as balls, but it was worth the drive and effort, as the client seemed pretty happy and we all walked away with a fat check at the end of the show.

I keep going back and forth about the in-ear monitors, though. Sometimes they just sound like complete garbage, and my guess is that it's the pathetic excuse for headphones I'm using with them. They're "isolation" earphones, but it just helps you hear their pathetic fidelity even more explicitly.

I really need to just break down and get myself a pair of Ultimate Ears or something similar. I can't afford to drop more than about $100 on a pair, so the molded ones are out for now.

I will say that any singers out there who really want to hear themselves on stage should invest in a good pair of IEMs - it's so much better than trying to hear yourself over the din of drums and loud guitarists. Used with care (and not blasted), your ears will thank you at the end of the night - I haven't had ringing or a headache since we started using them, because they take the levels of the drums down between 10 and 20 dB - helpful for those of you with loud drummers (like my band).

The side benefit? They're AWESOME headphones! I wouldn't use them if you were out running or biking, because they'll most certainly keep you from hearing your surroundings, but on an airplane, or any time you want peace, they're incredible. They're a much better concept than noice-cancelling headphones, because instead of electronically messing with your surroundings (and therefore your music), they just give you a direct, clean version of the sound. Get a pair with more than one driver and it's even more amazing, because the sound is clearer and often has more bass.

Okay, enough raving for now. I'm going to go write another post on another topic. You probably already read it because it'll show up above this one.

No comments: