Monday, July 16, 2007

Jesus F. N. Christ

Apparently Jesus can't forgive bad language.

We had a drummer come through who we loved, who we really wanted to be part of the band, because he seemed like a "bro". Apparently that's not the case.

You see, he's a "Christian", and it would look bad if he played drums for songs with dirty words or dirty messages. They're not satanic messages, even, just songs about crazy bitches who like to fuck and the expression of the man who is hated - fuckin' hated.

"Christians" apparently don't think God can handle bad words or bad messages expressed in music. So much so, in fact, that they think a bad word or hanging around drunk people is going to harm their faith and bring them closer to eternal damnation.

A long time ago, I invented a word to describe this phenomenon, where "Christians" are more concerned with how they look than their actual relationship with God: Christivanity.

I've only ever seen it one other place, and that was years after I invented it. I hope it becomes a word people use to describe those sorts of folk - members of churches concerned with looking good in the face of other humans.

If I may be flip and assume I know God for a second:
God knows YOUR deeds. Concern yourselves with that.
God knows YOU didn't say those words you found objectionable, and I think he can handle bad language - after all, his son hung out with the dregs of society.

Although, he did say to not use his name in vain, so maybe he is a big pussy after all.

I'm sad that Jesus (to me a fairytale with a nice message, for the most part) is such a domineering force in people's lives. It's sad that these folks can't even comprehend that their avoidance of things their pastor told them are "evil" is childlike behavior at its peak.

God gave us a brain, we should use it.
God gave us a moral compass to know what's right.
God gave us reason to help us avoid things that are bad for us.
God also gave us compassion to understand the weaknesses of others and to let us know when to help.

Of course, I say "God gave us" but I really mean "our parents gave us" or "nature gave us". If I was really wanting to be controversial, I'd say "Evolution gave us" - but I know that's a non-starter for Biblical literalists.

Coming right down to it, though, it was his choice, and I understand why he made his decision. I'm just not as beholden to a fantasy man in the sky (or the opinions of my fellow church patrons and "friends"), so it's hard for me to understand the logic behind it.

He could have just lied and told us we sucked. That would have been easier to take... :)

No comments: